- Students & Parents
- Silver Strand Registration Information for 2021-22
- CUSD Account Logins and Communication
- CUSD Discipline Action Guide and School Discipline Plan
- Silver Strand Schedule 2021-22
- CUSD Student Calendar for 2021-22
- CUSD Student Schedule for 2021-22
- CUSD Grading Period Calendar 2021-22
- Elementary Attendance Policy
- Activities and Clubs
- Military Programs at Silver Strand
- District Assistance for Military Families
- Bus Transportation Information
- Community Partners
- Health Office
- Silver Strand PTO
- Silver Strand School Song
- Special Education
- Title I Information
- Volunteer Information
Military Programs at Silver Strand
Silver Strand Elementary Military Programs
Our school is typically composed of approximately 75% of students from active-duty military families. We understand and do our very best to support the many unique challenges that these families face such as deployment and frequent relocations. Our priority in this regard is to provide students an environment where they are emotionally available to learn.
To begin this process, we assist new students on their first day by having the principal greet them and host them to their new classroom. Further, within a student’s first few days, our school’s Military Family Life Counselor (MFLC) and a member of the Student Ambassador Club will give the student and family a tour of campus. Students are individually assessed in reading and math immediately upon entry to our school and placed in small group instruction in appropriate Academic Support and Enrichment (ASE) groups, and sometimes additional scaffolding is made available in our Before/After School ASE program. We have also developed partnerships with several outstanding organizations to provide further support to our military students and their families. Participation in these programs can come about by teacher recommendation or self/family request and each program is coordinated by our MFLC.
Examples of programs include:
- Operation Bigs: In affiliation with Big Brothers & Big Sisters of San Diego, this program pairs adult mentors with 2nd through 5th grade military students in a weekly after school program to play games, create crafts, talk, and work on school projects.
- Operation Pals: This program offers a combination of the same supports offered by Operation Bigs for military students in kindergarten and 1st grade after school on Tuesdays. Active duty service members are provided by ACU-1 and the USS New Orleans (LPD-18), with whom Silver Strand is a Partner in Education (PIE).
- Military Family Life Counselor (MFLC): Provided by through a Department of Defense contract, this full-time licensed social worker is instrumental in coordinating and encouraging all support services for military families at Silver Strand Elementary and also provides counseling support to students and parents.
- Coronado Military Spouse Meeting: Meetings are held quarterly throughout the school year at 8:30am, at rotating school sites, with topics presented by MFLCs.
- Tutor.com for U.S. Military Families: Tutor.com for U.S. Military Families is a DoD-funded program that allows eligible students to connect to a live tutor online at any time for one-to-one help with homework, studying, SAT/ACT test prep, proofreading and more. This service is available at no charge to all K-12 grade students and some adults in active duty, National Guard, and reserve families. Click here for all the details.
- United Through Reading: Silver Strand School has entered into a partnership with United Through Reading (UTR) to be a host site for their program. Please click here to learn more about UTR, which offers military parents who are going on deployment the opportunity to be filmed reading a story aloud and recording messages to their children. The filmed session is then burned onto a DVD and given to the family so it can be watched whenever desired while the deployed parent is gone. Silver Strand School will be the first elementary school to act as a host site for UTR. Click here to find out how to participate in this program.